EP 35 | Fearing Fiber: Debunking SIBO Diet Myths and Embracing a Plant-Based Approach to Gut Healing with Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
Manage episode 276798773 series 2819884
Woody plants with lots of fiber can be a tough hurdle for someone with a damaged gut. And yet, it’s that very same fiber that research indicates is the key to healing some of our biggest overarching gut problems. It can feel like a fine line to walk. Today Dr. Will Bulsiewicz is on the show to help us navigate that tightrope.
In our conversation, Dr. B explains why fiber is the key to healing dysobiosis, leaky gut, and inflammation. He’ll also talk about how SIBO Amigos who have been taught to fear fiber during treatment can slowly condition their guts to handle all manner of beneficial plant foods.
In addition to being the author of the new book Fiber Fueled, Dr. B is also a highly decorated gastroenterologist with over 8 years of formal research training. Through his own experience losing 50 pounds after changing his diet, he began integrating a plant-based approach into his private practice and witnessed some amazing results with his patients.
If you've been wary about how to integrate carbs and fiber into your SIBO healing, this episode will set the record straight.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- Macronutrients 101: the difference between fiber, carbs and protein in the body
- How soluble versus insoluble fiber moves through our system
- Short Chain Fatty Acids and why they are so important for the health of our colon
- Why food sensitivity tests fall short in accounting for immune reactions
- The prebiotic supplements that Dr. B uses in his practice
- How to ramp up your fiber intake slowly to prevent syptoms
- And so much more...
- Dr. B's website
- Dr. B's new book, Fiber Fueled
- Studies on prebiotics and lactose consumption | Part Two
- Items in Dr. B's prebiotic medicine cabinet: Acacia fiber, Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum, Beta Glucans
- EP 06 – Prebiotic and Probiotic Protocols with Dr. Jason Hawrelak
- EP 23 - Elemental Diet with Dr. Michael Ruscio
- Phoebe’s book, The Wellness Project, on her journey with Hashimoto’s
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free low FODMAP cookbook
This episode is brought to you by Epicured, a low FODMAP meal delivery service that understands that food is medicine. Each menu is created by Michelin star chefs and honed by doctors and dieticians at mount sinaii to restore digestive health for those with IBS, SIBO, Celiac and IBD. Everything they serve is 100 percent low FODMAP and gluten-free, with no cooking required! My favorite part about their dishes is the healthy spin on takeout gems like shrimp laksa and PAD THAI! Their version had a great balance of fresh veggies mixed in with the noodles that left me feeling both satisfied and completely free of my usual carb coma. Listeners to this podcast can get $20 off their order by using code PHOEBE. Click here to learn more.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.