Manage episode 329369077 series 2708705
Social media provides an avenue for us to connect with loved ones from afar and gives us access to a wide array of resources and information. But did you know that the average person spends three to five hours per day switching between the apps on their phone? While technology can be a wonderful and expansive tool, it’s important that we set boundaries and use it in a way that helps us, not hinders us.
On today’s show, you’re going to discover how social media might be impacting various aspects of your life—including mental health, sleep quality, weight, and productivity. You’ll learn how modern technology is specifically designed to keep you hooked, and how it can affect your psychology. More importantly, you’re going to learn some practical tips you can use to ensure healthy habits with your devices.
While social media might be a relatively new invention, it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future. It’s in our best interests to develop and maintain healthy boundaries that allow social media to supplement our real life. My goal with this episode is to arm you with information and tactics you can use to ensure that technology is a beneficial part of your life. If you’re ready to take control of your devices and apps, this episode is for you.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How many hours per day the average person spends on their smartphone.
- The statistics on time spent reading.
- How dopamine is connected to your social media habits.
- Why our inherent negativity bias makes us more sensitive to negative comments.
- How social media likes are designed to impact our psychology.
- The impact social media can have on your sense of self-value.
- How comparison on social media makes us more predisposed to depression.
- The connection between sedentary behavior and social media usage.
- How our environment can make us more susceptible to addiction.
- Why social media is created to break down your self-regulation skills.
- The importance of cultivating real-world relationships.
- How your social media behaviors can impact your sleep quality.
- What effects our devices have on our circadian clock.
- The percentage of Americans that sleep with their phones within arm’s reach.
- How to remove the temptation of social media while you’re working.
- Why you should be cognizant of which apps are sending you notifications.
- The power of setting a screen curfew.
- What it means to social distance from your phone.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model -- Get an exclusive discount on your daily health elixirs!
- How Social Media Affects Our Psychology with Adam Alter – Episode 434
- Irresistible by Adam Alter
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: