Manage episode 291702316 series 2812451
During this episode, Darren Cahill (ESPN announcer, tennis player and coach) Shares:
- His definition of Excellence
- The 8 most important things you need to do to achieve Excellence
- Coaching memories and what he learned from Andre Agassi
- What makes for a great TV commentator
- The greatest lesson he learned about coaching from his father, the legendary John Cahill
- How he was inspired the Excellence of Bjorn Borg
- And he describes the greatest match he ever witnessed
Cahill is here to share his journey of Excellence. As always, this isn't a glorification of Excellence, but a deep examination of it.
Cahill has achieved his own excellence on the tennis court and in the broadcasting booth, and he’s also been front row to Excellence as a coach of some of the all time greats, including Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt and Simona Halep.
Excerpt from Episode:
"I reckon the one quote that I learned that's kind of stuck with me is when I first started with Andre Agassi, I came across Gil Reyes. Gil's a Las Vegas guy here and he was with the UNLV Runnin' Rebels for a bunch of years. And Andre was able to coax him out of that job to become his full-time fitness, strength and fitness trainer. But he's more than that. He's like a second father to Andre. Here's this great saying; it's really simple: It's just 'plan the work, work the plan,' that's it."