Manage episode 301975884 series 126597
Alan is joined by Dr. Rob Ritter to talk about a couple of bad beats he had. Perfing an endo and punting a tough extraction had Al wondering if he should be doing these procedures in his office. Rob is a proud “restorative dentist” by choice and has described his approach as “from the gums up.” How did he decide what he wanted to include in his practice? Why did he decide to leave a lot of “specialty” procedures out? Some topics we covered:
- Rob’s course, “The Protocol”, the dates for 2022 are available and registration opens on September 14th. If you’re interested, you better sign up fast because they’ll sell out immediately! (limited to 14 people!)
- No compromise treatment
- “Just because you don’t want to do the right thing doesn’t mean I’m going to do the wrong thing.”
- “When you start feeling bad for patients, you start making bad decisions”
- Late 90’s “needs based” dentistry to “wants based” dentistry
- Doing dentistry because you NEED to (financial constraints) is more common
- Al’s bad beats and walking away from endo and surgery (and why it didn’t last)
- Case selection...don’t let your guard down!
- You don’t HAVE to do anything you don’t want to
- No shame in referring anything that you don’t want to do
- Find a referral network that is an extension of your practice
- Rob ALMOST took a tooth out earlier this year...and then decided against it. It was a wise choice.
- Vedder Society name drop (come in a couple weeks!)
- Learning from Pat Allen...can I be Pat Allen?
- How long had Rob been practicing before he had decided what he WANTED to do.
- Remember that adding new stuff is hard to learn and REALLY hard to implement.
- Developing a referral network and how to work in a rural environment
- Rob on legacy
- Your family >>> teaching dentists/doing dentistry
- The most valuable thing is time!
- Very Dental Facebook group (password: Timmerman)
If you would you like support the Very Dental Podcast Network you should support our sponsors! They help us create content that is, for lack of a better word...Very Dental!
The Very Dental Podcast Network is brought to you by our friends at Microcopy Dental. Here are 3 reasons that you should check out Microcopy Dental:
- Their Instagram posts are hysterical. Dental marketing is usually cheesy and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Microcopy Dental posts legitimately funny stuff on their Instagram account!
- Microcopy makes a wide variety of single use carbides, diamonds and polishers. Such a wide variety that their catalog reminds me of an encyclopedia. But with better pictures.
- Microcopy dental makes it so you’ll never have to experience that “dull bur” feeling ever again. A new bur. Every. Single. Time.
Go check out all Microcopy Dental has to offer at verydentalpodcast.com/microcopy
The Very Dental Podcast Network is also brought to you by the fine folks at Zirc. The first time I knew anything about Zirc was a LONG time ago. I tried the Zirc Crystal HD mirror and it’s wrecked me on any other mirror ever since. If you want a dental mirror that reminds you of using an HD TV, you should check out Zirc’s Crystal HD mirror. It comes as a replacement head for any mirror handle you already use or as a single piece. Either way, it will change the way you see everything for the better. Go check out the Crystal HD mirror from Zirc at verydentalpodcast.com/mirrors
The Very Dental Podcast network thanks our friends at Cosmedent for all of their support! Have you ever wished that one simple and painless change could make your dentistry better? Cosmedent is here for you! If you aren’t using a microfilled composite (and let’s be honest, you probably aren’t), I can guarantee that it makes anterior composite dentistry easier, better and more fun. The handling and polishability of Cosmedent’s Renamel Microfill must be experienced to understand the major difference it makes! Go check out Renamel Microfill at verydentalpodcast.com/microfill
If you’d like to support the Very Dental Podcast, go check out the monthly deals from our friends at Crazy Dental! Each month Crazy Dental will be offering all kinds of different coupons on the product you’re using most! Head over to verydentalpodcast.com/crazy to see the monthly deals they have in store for you!
Our friends at Enova Illumination have your magnification and lighting needs all figured out. Whether you’re looking at new loupes, a surgical headlight like no other or the amazing line of Zumax microscopes, Enova Illumination has you covered! Go check them out at verydentalpodcast.com/Enova and take advantage of the discounts they have for Very Dental Podcast Network listeners!
The Very Dental podcast is brought to you by the Wonderist agency. The best marketing agency to build your website, logo, SEO, design, Google Ads, social media and on. And on. Marketing your dental office...the Wonderist Agency can help! Find out more at verydentalpodcast.com/wonderist!