Manage episode 302449912 series 83204
As data visualization practitioners, we often do not realize just how important color is. In today's inspiring conversation, Theresa-Marie Rhyne, a leading expert in computer-generated visualization, talks about all things color.
Theresa-Marie works as a consultant, specializing in applying artistic color theories to a range of media and has also authored a book, Applying Color Theory to Digital Media and Visualization. We learn about the idea of color harmony and what this means for data visualization practice.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- What color harmony is and how data visualization can use this better.
- Why it is so important to understand the framework behind how we understand color.
- What the rainbow color map is and why this is a common mistake in data visualization.
- Some of Theresa-Marie's key rules for colorizing data visualization.
- The importance of knowing the type of data you have before deciding on your color scheme.
- About some tools that you can use to see whether you are color blind or have a color deficiency.
- What color interactions mean and the effect that this has.
- Valuable points to consider when applying a color palette to a dataset.
People, Blogs, and Resources Mentioned: