Manage episode 360463860 series 2810532
In this episode we discuss the parable of the two houses and the words of Jesus immediately leading up to it in Matthew 7:15-27. Much of the imagery is drawn from the Tanakh and 2nd Temple literature, and the ideas would have been commonly understood within the Jewish apocalyptic narrative. Jesus criticizes and corrects the leadership of Israel for their hypocrisy and pretense, calling his disciples to radical obedience to his words and a singular focus on the age to come.
- Beware of false prophets - Matthew 7:15-20; Isaiah 56:10-11; Jeremiah 23:1-2; Ezekiel 34; Shabbat 31b; Yoma 9b (9:04)
- Good trees and bad trees / fruit - Matthew 7:16-20, cf. Matthew 12, Matthew 15, 1 Corinthians 3 (19:27)
- The outward signs without the fear of God - Matthew 7:21-23; Shabbat 12b (25:07)
- The parable of the two houses - Matthew 7:24-27; Ezekiel 13:9-13; Isaiah 24:19-21; Proverbs 10:24-25; Proverbs 12:7; Life of Adam and Eve 49:1-3 (30:07)
- The two houses and realized eschatology (40:52)