Manage episode 357344639 series 2810532
In our opening episode for season 4 of our show, we introduce the parables of Jesus and discuss his intended audience and their purpose. Rather than a redefinition of Jewish eschatology or Jesus giving new, gnostic revelation, the parables are spoken to the calloused and are meant to evoke a moral response of repentance. Jesus’ parables are communicating the same ideas as Israel’s prophetic tradition, highlighting the need for covenant faithfulness in light of Israel’s assumed apocalyptic eschatology.
- Common confusion around the parables of Jesus (4:26)
- To whom did Jesus speak the parables? (11:07)
- Why did Jesus speak in parables? (22:08)
- Parables in the Tanakh (36:01)
- Parables in Jewish apocalyptic literature (40:38)
- The secrets of the kingdom: Daniel 2:18, 30; Matthew 13:11 (51:15)