Common Markets and the Race for Power in Africa with Andreas Stargard [NB 113]
Manage episode 285184212 series 2432340
Africa is a continent of 1.2 Billion people. From a consumer potential standpoint it matches China or India. Yet historically, it has suffered from its colonial past, and current fractured hostility and corruption. Africa, however, is emerging, and is quickly accelerating into the 21st Century marketplace both from an investment and growth opportunity. From the digital revolution and increased free trade, to innovation in various industries, Africa may be the next market frontier to unfold into accelerated multinational presence. We’re joined by Africa competition and markets expert, Andreas Stargard, as he shares his insight to help multinationals navigate the African landscape.
A co-founding senior member of Primerio, a business advisory firm helping companies do business within Africa from a global perspective. Andreas Stargard is legal, strategic, and business advisor to companies and individuals across the globe. He focuses on antitrust and competition advice, white-collar counseling, contract dispute and negotiation, and resolution of global business disputes, including cartel work, corruption allegations and internal investigations, intellectual property, and distribution matters. He has written and spoken extensively on these topics and many others. Andreas also advises clients on corporate compliance programmes that conform to local as well as global government standards, and has handled key strategic merger-notification questions, including evaluation of filing requirements, avoidance strategies, cross-jurisdictional cooperation, and the like.
What We Discussed in This Episode:
- What do the Africa markets look like from a multinational business opportunity perspective?
- Which countries in Africa have established markets? Which ones have growth potential?
- How and why has China’s investment and influence across Africa intensified over the last couple of decades?
- What type of digital revolution is taking place in Africa?
- Is there a huge opportunity for mobile money on the continent?
- How is free trade shaping up across the African continent? How do the AfCFTA’s goals tie in?
- What Free Trade cooperation agreements exist among the East, West and South African nations? Will they succeed?
- Where is Africa leading innovations?
- How will African wars and corruption impact its ability to grow a multinational marketplace?
Africa Antitrust & Competition News and Analysis
Thank you for listening! Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the show to receive every new episode delivered straight to your podcast player every week.
If you enjoyed this episode, please help us get the word out about this podcast. Rate and Review this show in Apple Podcasts, Stitcher Radio, Google Podcasts, or Spotify. It helps other listeners find this show.
Be sure to connect with us and reach out with any questions/concerns:
This podcast is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice specific to your circumstances. If you need help with any legal matter, be sure to consult with an attorney regarding your specific needs.