Manage episode 284443026 series 2812948
Just as with any other food, we need to consider a few aspects that determine the quality of olive oil.
1. CHOOSE EXTRA VIRGEN OLIVE OIL OVER PLAIN VIRGIN OIL
2. CHOOSE OIL FROM THE LATEST HARVEST Extra virgin olive oil does not have a 'best before' date, but this does not mean that its quality lasts forever.
3. ONCE YOU'VE BOUGHT IT, CONSUME IT SOON As mentioned in the previous tip, olive oil's properties dissipate over time. Because of this, it is advisable to consume it quickly.
4. ALWAYS STORE OLIVE OIL AWAY FROM LIGHT SOURCES Light is olive oil's worst enemy, because it speeds up its deterioration incredibly. Always keep oil stored away from the sun's ultraviolet rays and from light bulbs.
5. KEEP OIL AWAY FROM HEAT SOURCES Temperature is crucial when conserving oil. Too much heat (even if it's just because the bottle is near the stove when you are cooking) causes a quick deterioration of the oil, which will lose its properties.
6. COLOR DOES NOT STAND FOR QUALITY You may find extra virgin olive oil in different shades of green, but also with gold or yellow hues. This means nothing as far as the quality of the product is concerned. Why are there different colors? It's simply because different olive varieties yield oils that differ in color.
Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or iHeart Radio, or your favorite podcast player.
We'd love it if you could please share this podcast with your social media friends!
If you liked this episode, please leave us a rating and review for our podcast on iTunes.
Discover more podcasts like this at Circle270Media Network -
Thanks to Tri-Village Chamber Partnership for studio recording space.