Manage episode 290032288 series 2911492
Takeaways from today's episode:
- In reverse mentoring, find someone who is different from you, has a different background and has different perspectives.
- Aim to build a mutual connection as mentor and mentee, firstly creating a sense of psychological safety which enables open and honest dialogue
- Reverse mentorship approach empowers people with skills to effectively engage in sensitive topics such as racism and facilitates discussions with the right audiences who have the power to do something about it.
- A mentor supports the organisation through the person they are mentoring, bringing awareness to unspoken nuances which could help to refine organisational initiatives and policies for promoting positive behaviours and culture.
- Reverse mentoring is a rewarding experience to learn, educate and feed forward. If you get a reverse mentorship opportunity - go for it!
Creating better leaders by Patrice Gordon
Impact of reverse mentoring - NHS
Value of reverse mentoring
Reverse mentoring for senior NHS leaders: a new type of relationship. Future Healthc J. 2020 Feb;7(1):94-96. doi: 10.7861/fhj.2019-0028.
Reverse mentoring for equitable workplaces
Reverse mentoring framework
Host and guest information
Dr. Alice Matimba is the Senior Producer of YDMP. In her role at the Wellcome Genome Campus, she manages the organisation, development and delivery of genomics courses for researchers and healthcare professionals in Africa, Asia and Latin America as part of the ACSC programme. Her expertise is in biomedical sciences, pharmacogenomics, health research and education, and capacity building for LMICs. Connect with Alice on Twitter @alicepn
Dr. Martin Dougherty is the Chief Operating Officer at Wellcome Sanger Institute and have the pleasure of working with our senior operational leadership team across all areas of our organisation. He is also a Special Constable and combat organised crime gangs and dealing with their victims and he quotes - “This keeps my feet firmly on the ground”. Connect with Martin on https://www.linkedin.com/in/martindougherty
Editing by Mariana Vaz, https://www.marianacpvaz.com/
Research: Alice Matimba
Producers: Alice Matimba (Senior Producer), Isabela Malta (Producer), Christine Boinett (Creator and Executive producer), Emmanuela Oppong (Producer)
Host: Alice Matimba
Media and Marketing: Catherine Holmes