Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on September 06, 2022 09:53 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 333499666 series 2932760
We are thrilled to welcome Alicia Arballo to our show again, this time to talk about inclusiveness and affirming practices and policies at school. We also discuss legislation the LGBTQ+ community should be aware of.
Alicia is a transgender woman, a school counselor, and a former teacher, with over 36 years of experience in education. She advocates for the LGBTQ+ community's rights and is an inspiration for her students and colleagues.
In this episode, we discuss the importance and the urgency of making our schools a safe and affirming space for our kids. Alicia teaches us about Bulletin 6224, which obliges LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) schools to provide equal educational opportunity to all students and to accommodate all needs for the safety and affirmation of LGBTQ+ students. These policies were created to address and provide support to transgender and gender nonconforming students enrolled in the district.
In addition, Alicia highlights the benefits of incorporating LGBTQ+ affirming curriculum in schools and shares an example of how students' grades and attitudes improved with its inclusion. We also explore the idea that our legislation is outdated compared to society's current makeup. In the end, Alicia shares a beautiful, heartfelt message through a special letter that she received from a student.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Alicia comments on the current status of LGBTQ+ support in private and public schooling (2:15)
- Alicia talks about Bulletin 6224's reach and its application in LAUSD schools (3:15)
- Alicia explains the importance of curriculum and affirming policies and practices at school and how they can change kids' lives (8:02)
- Alicia describes her experiences with students seeking her advice and guidance (15:26)
- Alicia talks about the outdated laws and how they collide with society's current makeup (22:04)
- Alicia talks about the work of GSA groups (32:40)
- California Department of Education's Phone: 916-319-8239.
- Los Angeles Unified School District Policy Bulletin 6224.2
Connect with Alicia:
Connect with Jackie and Bridget:
- Transgender Support: Becoming a True Ally Video Course on Vimeo
- Transgender School Patreon Membership with all exclusive content
- Transgender School on Medium
- Community Facebook Group