Manage episode 294533716 series 1564764
What’s the best way to manage employee reviews for your team? Should you use an objective, numerical rating system or stick with a more subjective process? Join us today as your hosts Shannon Jean and Dave Hamilton discuss ways to make reviews a productive and positive experience for employees and employers.
After a message from our sponsor, Streak, then it’s time for listener questions where Kevin tells us that our pie-in-the-sky optimism isn’t working for him. We get down to Earth and offer Kevin some action tips to help him get out from being stuck working for someone else. It’s hard work, but we know you can do it, Kevin!
If you have a question for Dave or Shannon, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #331 for Wednesday, June 9, 2021
- Listener Questions today!
- 00:04:06 Robert: How to do reviews?
- Make sure you document it
- Call them “Check-ins.”
- Ask your employees to create their notes first… and share them.
- When to schedule reviews
- One year is too long
- Separate salary from performance review
- Salary Review Questions
- How have you added to your talent stack?
- What new things are you doing for yourself?
- How are you growing?
- Performance Review
- Compliment sandwich
- Here’s why you’re here
- Here’s what you can improve
- Here’s what we love
- What’s your plan?
- What new thing do you want to do here?
- What new skills do you want to learn?
- Compliment sandwich
- Build your team from within
- 00:16:36 SPONSOR: Streak is a CRM designed to help you stay on top of each part of your process — and your inbox — without ever leaving Gmail. Visit Streak.com/SBS to get 20% off your first year of Streak’s Pro Plan.
- 00:18:26 Kevin: Optimism only goes so far; how do you REALLY succeed?
- Idea — Find a Side Hustle
- Test it, gain confidence.
- When you’re saying, “if only I had more time to spend on my side hustle…” that’s when you’re ready
- DealsOnTheWeb.com — Dave and Shannon’s first venture
- Idea — Find a product to sell: eBay, Poshmark, Goodwill, Garage Sales
- Ignore MOST of the negative comments
- Track your progress
- Use your To Did List
- Being an Entrepreneur is a Blue Collar Job
- 00:35:28 SBS 331 Outtro