MINI PCOS POD: What’s the Pill really doing to your body - and is there a link between PCOS and deficiencies?
Manage episode 269081605 series 2631913
Understanding your body and what different things - medicinal or natural - do to your body is not only very interesting but so important.
I’m not anti-medicine whatsoever, I think it definitely has a place in our medical system and that combining some of the really great pharmaceuticals we have at our disposal with tailored functional medicine and lifestyle changes is the way to go.
The reason I say this is because off the back of my podcast on hormonal birth control - and just in general - I’ve had a lot of questions about the impacts of the Pill and different symptoms associated with being on or coming off of the Pill.
I also get a lot of questions about whether there is a correlation between PCOS and a range of symptoms and deficiencies. One that has come up a fair bit recently is iron deficiency and PCOS. So in this episode, I’m talking addressing a bunch of questions relating to these topics that you submitted on Instagram:
- “When you stop taking the Pill, will cysts form right away?”
- “What’s the Pill actually doing to my body?”
- “Is there a correlation iron deficiency and PCOS? I already eat enough red meat”
- “Why has my period disappeared now that I’ve come off the Pill?”
- “I came off the Pill about a year ago and I’ve had bad back pain ever since - my physio and I are stumped”
Understanding your PCOS and your body in general is so liberating - so I hope this episode answers some questions for you and sets you off on your journey to feeling well again.
This episode is for you if:
- You’re on the Pill or have just come off the Pill
- You’re iron deficient or anaemic
- Your period has disappeared for no particular reason
- You get bad back pain and it’s only started since you’ve come off the Pill
Some things we cover in this episode:
- The difference between PCOS and ovarian cysts - no they aren’t the same!
- Why ovulation is so important
- Why most women with PCOS are put on the Pill
- What body systems can impact your vitamin and mineral levels
- Iron and the thyroid
- The Pill might have been covering up other issues that have lead to amenorrhea (loss of period)
References and Resources:
Links to our programs: