Manage episode 332309323 series 2500242
You may feel like you can control every situation, but it will come at a high cost.
It’s never too late to turn a controlling habit into a trusting one. In this episode, author and speaker, Sharon Hodde Miller shares from her newest book, The Cost of Control: Why We Crave It, the Anxiety It Gives Us, and the Real Power God Promises Us. Co-pastoring a church with her husband, Ike, control felt like something that brought security and peace, only to find anxiety and a high cost as the true outcome. Sharon helps us all loosen our grips on control and to trust the power of the Holy Spirit living inside of us.
Sharon points us to the truth that whenever we reach for control that God has not given us, we are making a “devil’s deal.” Jesus has already offered us the best deal of all, and when we put our trust in Him, we find what we have been searching for has been with us all along. This episode is insightful, and convicting-you won’t want to miss it!
Important Takeaways from Show
- Adam and Eve reached for more control, which resulted in anxiety, shame, and division.
- Every time we reach for control that God has not given us, it will cost us something.
- Adam and Eve did not have control of the garden but exercised agency over it.
- We cannot control the chaos, but we can order it with systems and processes.
- The less we control the more we experience the power of the Holy Spirit that we already have access to.
- We cannot control the soil of a person’s heart, but we can have influence whether we are softening or hardening it.
- Whenever we reach for control that God has not given us we are making a “devil’s deal”.
- Jesus has already offered us the best deal.
- But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:24)
- God is dependable, he is faithful, and He is enough.
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27
Links from Show
Join the Insider Club – Joanna’s launch team!
Book: (Being Released August 16, 2022): The Cost of Control: Why We Crave It, the Anxiety It Gives Us, and the Real Power God Promises
[Disclosure: I make a small commission from affiliate links used in this post.]
Connect with Sharon Hodde Miller