E20: Producing content to accelerate your in-house career with Mel Scott, Legal Counsel at Megaport and Host of the Counsel Podcast
Manage episode 273761148 series 2793088
Can your personal brand accelerate your career?
Melissa Scott is a Legal Counsel at Megaport and the host of the successful Counsel podcast, exploring life as an in-house lawyer.
In today's episode of The Leading Lawyer Project, we talked about having a great career as an in-house lawyer. Some highlights from the show:
- Mel kicks off with an overview of exactly what is involved with her job - all the diverse things she does throughout the day
- Why in-house lawyers need to do more with less in the post-COVID-19 world
- Mel answers questions that she is often asked by young lawyers, including ‘when is the best time to transition from private practice to in-house?
- Why it’s so important to start taking your personal brand seriously
- Mel’s top practical suggestions and resources for accelerating your in-house career
- Lessons learned from Mel’s podcast journey
- The importance of Mental Health for performance and Mel’s favourite wellbeing practices
- Why “the path” or “the playbook” that has traditionally defined a successful legal career wasn’t for Mel and what success means now.
Some of my favourite quotes:
- “Legal Counsel are like the General Practitioners of the legal world. We triage legal, risk and compliance issues and decide how to manage that. We manage external relationships. Sometimes we brief it out, and other times we use technology to free up our time for the exciting meaty issues that we’d otherwise have to brief out.”
- “I genuinely love the way I get to be a lawyer.
- “You need to take your personal brand seriously and start the journey as early as you’d like it to.”
- “I’m not afraid to share so that people might have a slightly easier time”
- “Success in my practice is living in alignment with my values. Looking forward to the week ahead on a Sunday afternoon.
You can find more about Mel here:
- Please leave a review and a rating wherever you listen to your podcasts! It makes a huge difference and helps people find the show.
- Subscribe to The Leading Lawyer Project on iTunes
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Have an idea for the podcast or a guest you'd love to hear from? Drop me a line here: firstname.lastname@example.org