Manage episode 284851613 series 2588128
Today, I am blessed to have here with me Best Selling Author, Educator, Speaker, and Podcast Host, Dr. Mindy Pelz. Dr. Mindy is empowering people worldwide to believe in their body's healing abilities through fasting, diet variation, removing chemicals from the body, and so much more.
Dr. Mindy is a recognized leader in the alternative health world and is the founder of Family Life Wellness, her local clinic that is made to speed up healing and maximize performance. She is also the founder of the Reset Academy. In this private group, she and her team help people implement the principles of fasting, keto, and diet variation into their daily lives.
She is the host of one of the leading science podcasts, The Resetter Podcast, and the author of three best-selling books, The Menopause Reset, The Reset Factor, and The Reset Kitchen.
Her local clinic, run by her highly-trained team, is one of the largest bio-hacking centers in the bay area. She puts out a weekly podcast episode, two science-backed YouTube videos a week, three weekly newsletters, and leads people through heavy metal detoxing in her Toxin Reset Program.
In this episode, Dr. Mindy focuses on fasting. We dive right into the most significant pitfalls women could be making in their fasting routine. First, you should step out of fasting around day twenty of your cycle. Also, don't forget to make yourself insulin resistant from day one to day ten of your period. Dr. Mindy also gives fasting tips for women who are in their post-menopausal phase of life. Later, Dr. Mindy goes deep into the six different stages of fasting. Tune in as we chat about the enemies of fasting and how you can solve all your fasting issues. Lastly, Dr. Mindy answers questions from the Keto Kampers.
/ / E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil): http://www.purelifescience.com Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at checkout for 10% off
[02:55] About The Fasting Circle
- Women love the idea of fasting – there are so many miracles that can happen when you fast.
- However, we need to honor our hormones, specifically our sex hormones.
- Men’s testosterone will come every couple of hours. Women get testosterone once a month. So, we have to fast very differently.
- The Fasting Circle will help women navigate the fasting experience.
- Fasting is powerful; we have to do it thoughtfully.
[06:30] The Dangers Of Fasting Too Much
- The first danger is progesterone. You make the most progesterone around day twenty of your cycle. If you are in a low-glycemic state, then it won’t make progesterone very proficient.
- Fasts will cause cortisol – it’s fine during the front half of the cycle. When you need to make progesterone, you don’t want that stress.
- So, step out of fasting around day twenty of your cycle.
- During this time, you should slow life down and relax. You want to honor that your body is trying to make progesterone.
- Make yourself insulin resistant from day one to day ten of your period. You want to go keto and make yourself insulin resistant during this time. Use keto and fasting during this time (totally opposite of day twenty).
[11:50] Fasting For Post-Menopausal Women
- If you are over forty, you have an organ that is shutting down (your ovaries).
- No other time in your life will you have an organ shutting down. Your ovaries will make hormones. Well, your body still has to make it so your adrenal glands will take over.
- We are not made to be permanent fat burners. We are made for metabolic switching. As women get on the other side of menopause, we have to build our hormones back up.
[16:20] About The 5-1-1 Rule
- 5 days of fasting and keto.
- 1 day of an extended fast (24 hours).
- 1 day a week of no fasting. Instead, you should be feasting.
- We are meant for metabolic switching; we are not meant to be permanent fat burners.
- Women need to go into hormone building times. That’s when we can lean into foods likes squashes, beans, and quinoa.
- Women should feel free to move in and out of ketosis.
[20:15] The Six Styles Of Fasting
- There are six styles of fasting:
- Intermittent Fast: 13 – 15 hours.
- Autophagy Fast: 17 hours.
- This is when autophagy kicks in. So, the cells start to understand that it needs to clean up their act. It’s great for detox!
- Gut Reset: 24 hours.
- This is an incredible fast for people with gut dysbiosis.
- Fat Burner Fast: 36 hours.
- You will access toxins and breakdown fat more efficiently at 36 hours.
- Dopamine Reset: 48 hours.
- We lose our sensitivity to dopamine over time. We are getting way too much dopamine. For instance, we can order food, binge watch TV, and scroll through social media. Eating all day long will make it so that our dopamine receptor sites are getting blocked. So, we need to make ourselves more sensitive.
- Immunity Fast: 72 hours.
- This fast will reboot stem cells – especially when it comes to white blood cells. It has been known as a way to kill cancer cells.
[45:00] Fats That Make It Hard To Fast
- When people start fasting, they come from the standard American diet. These people are mostly insulin resistant.
- Only 12% of Americans are insulin sensitive.
- The number one thing that makes you insulin resistant is bad fats. The goal of fasting is to get you out of insulin resistance. If the cell is junked up with bad fats, then fasting will be challenging.
- The enemy of fasting is bad oils!
[52:35] Toxins Are Another Enemy Of Fasting
- Your fat stores will have excess. When you lose weight, toxins will release into your system.
- We need to go in and out of detox.
- Mindy says that we shouldn’t avoid fasting because of symptoms. Instead, we should honor our symptoms and learn how to read them.
- As you’re fasting, make sure you are opening up your detox pathways. You should be sweating and massaging different parts of your body.
- The more toxins you have, the harder it may be to get fat adapted and get ketones.
[59:20] Helping Your Hair Grow Back
- The solution to your fasting challenges will be variation.
- Most of us are already operating from a place of mineral deficiency. Our soil is not giving us enough minerals as it did thirty years ago.
- If you haven’t already, check out Kiss The Ground: https://kisstheground.com.
- Most likely, you are mineral deficient, so add minerals back into your diet.
[62:55] Leslie McMillan: How Long Is Too Long To Stay In High Ketosis?
- What are you trying to accomplish?
- We can get obsessed with our ketones and blood sugar.
- If you don’t have a cancer diagnosis, then you should stay in high ketosis for 80% of the time and 20% of your time being a sugar burner.
[66:30] Katie: How To Fix Gut Health?
- You have to mix up fasts for your body – it could be the reason that you’re not losing weight.
- Lean into progesterone foods like squash and potatoes.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
- Check out Dr. Mindy’s Website: https://drmindypelz.com
- Follow Dr. Mindy
- Get Tickets To The Biohacking Conference: https://www.biohackingcongress.com use ketokamp at checkout for 50% off.
- Pre-Order The Menopause Reset: https://drmindypelz.com/the-menopause-reset/
- Listen to The Resetter Podcast: https://drmindypelz.com/resetter-podcast/
- Listen to Dr Mindy Pelz, Women's Complete Guide to the Keto Diet & Intermittent Fasting: https://soundcloud.com/ben-azadi-522032578/dr-mindy-pelz-womens-complete
- Can Fasting 13 Hours or More at Night Reduce Recurrence Risk?: https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/can-fasting-reduce-recurrence-risk
- Get PEO Solution: https://www.amazon.com/PEO-Solution-Conquering-Diabetes-Essential/dp/0988278030/benazadi-20
- Get The Reset Factor: https://www.amazon.com/Reset-Factor-Transforming-Health-Repairing/dp/151929915X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=36D605R08265K&dchild=1&keywords=dr+mindy+pelz&qid=1612475723&s=books&sprefix=dr+mindy+pel%2Cstripbooks%2C201&sr=1-2/benazadi-20
- Join theKeto Kamp Academy: https://ketokampacademy.com/7-day-trial-a
- WatchKeto Kamp on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUh_MOM621MvpW_HLtfkLyQ
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
▸clubhouse | @thebenazadi
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.