Manage episode 376987305 series 2546197
Welcome to Episode 73 of the Eat for Endurance Podcast, featuring fellow Sports Dietitian Heidi Strickler, MS RD CSSD.
Heidi is a trail runner and self-proclaimed outdoor junkie based in Seattle. I got a listener request to do a show on relative energy deficiency in sport - also known as RED-S (soon to be REDS) - around the same time I heard Heidi’s interview on the Trail Society podcast, and knew she’d be a great dietitian to tackle this topic with me. I have covered this topic before but it’s been over two years, so it was time to do an updated deep-dive.
We cover the basics of REDS including warning signs, the normalization of disordered eating especially among endurance athletes, intentional versus unintentional under-fueling, the importance of nutrient timing versus end of day nutrient adequacy, practical advice on how to make sure you’re eating enough and not just relying on hunger cues, menstrual dysfunction, what treatment to regain a period may look like, and SO much more.
Please note - just like eating disorders do not have a specific "look," underfueled athletes may or may not show the clear warning signs of REDS that we discuss. For example, they may still have a normal period or they may have normal bloodwork. Pay attention to how you feel during the day, your bowel habits, your sleep, your appetite, how you're recovering from workouts, and the overall picture of your eating and training patterns.
I hope you enjoy this episode and find it helpful!
Links & Announcements:
- Follow Heidi on Instagram (@hkstrickler_sportsrd)
- Have nutrition questions, a guest or topic request, or any other feedback? Email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please show your support by subscribing to the show, giving it a 5 star rating and review, and sharing it with your friends!
- If you can afford to support the show financially, please visit my Patreon page to make a donation
- You can also shop my Amazon storefront or use this affiliate homepage link to do your usual Amazon shopping
- Music Credit: Joseph McDade
- Disclaimer – all information provided is for educational and entertainment purposes only and is in no way meant to replace individual medical and nutrition recommendations
Thanks for listening! Follow me on Instagram and Facebook (@eatforendurance).