This podcast might not actually kill you, but it covers so many things that can. Each episode tackles a different disease, from its history, to its biology, and finally, how scared you need to be. Ecologists and epidemiologists Erin Welsh and Erin Allmann Updyke make infectious diseases acceptable fodder for dinner party conversation and provide the perfect cocktail recipe to match
Manage episode 283094394 series 1345893
Get all the details on varenicline, nicotine replacement therapy, and integrating psychosocial interventions into a comprehensive smoking cessation treatment plan! Smoking cigarettes is the leading cause of preventable death worldwide. Listen as our esteemed guest Dr. Steve Baldassarri (Yale) provides us expert pearls to help our patients quit smoking.
Episodes | Subscribe | Spotify | Swag! | Top Picks | Mailing List | email@example.com | Free CME!
- Written and produced by: Carolyn Chan, MD
- Infographic: Edison Jyang
- Cover Art: Kate Grant
- Hosts: Matthew Watto MD, FACP; Paul Williams MD, FACP
- Editor: Cyrus Askin, MD (written materials); Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Steve Baldassarri MD MHS
Sponsor: The American College of Physicians
Join us for ACP Internal Medicine Meeting 2021: Virtual Experience for 3 days of interactive, livestreaming education and events April 29 through May 1—plus on-demand post-meeting access to CME credit for up to 3 years.
“Early Bird” members get an additional $80 registration discount on top of their member discount. Visit annualmeeting.acponline.org. (Prices shown online at registration pages reflect Discounted Rates.)
Register now—Early Bird savings end January 31st!
Sponsor: VCU Health CE
The Curbsiders are partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer FREE continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Visit curbsiders.vcuhealth.org.
*Note: Time Stamps refer to ad free version.
- 03:02 Intro, disclaimer, guest bio
- 04:35 Guest one-liner
- 09:50 Tobacco Use Disorder - Chronic Disease
- 11:08 Case from Kashlak
- 11:56 Obtaining a history
- 13:39 Motivations for Smoking Cessation
- 15:29 Factors associated with challenges in smoking cessation:
- 21:40 Gradual Tapers vs Cold Turkey
- 25:18 Nicotine Replacement 32:40
- 28:57 Pharmacotherapy - “Controller” Medications
- 31:05 Pharmacotherapy - Short Acting Medications
- 33:20 Dosing Medications
- 38:35 Varenicline
- 39:00 Nicotine gum dosing
- 44:40 Duration of therapy
- 48:08 Bupropion
- 49:05 Behavioral Interventions
- 55:24 Vaping and electronic cigarettes
- 57:03 Vaping for smoking cessation
- 01:02:35 EVALI
- 01:05:49 Outro