Manage episode 365045894 series 1282967
Gerhard is back! Today we continue our Kaizen tradition by getting together (for the 10th time) with one of our oldest friends to talk all about the continuous improvements we’re making to Changelog’s platform and podcasts.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Gerhard Lazu – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Kaizen episodes
- Gerhard’s Ansible blog post from 2014 (!)
- changelog.com on GitHub
- GitHub discussion changelog.com#452
- Ken Kost’s merged contribution
- Jerod wants a WiFi BaseStation XG
- Gerhard recommends Mikrotik
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:42) - Kaizen & Friends
(01:18) - What are our SLOs?
(01:47) - Old friends
(03:54) - What Kaizen is all about
(06:33) - Changelog's infra
(09:39) - The Dagger upgrade
(17:37) - PR #464: asdf
(22:19) - asdf with Homebrew
(25:13) - Postgres is different
(27:34) - Is this generalizable?
(28:35) - How long does our pipeline take?
(31:40) - Chasing the 0s
(33:27) - What Jerod has been up to
(34:51) - Honeycomb x OpenAI
(39:32) - Google Bard vs ChatGPT
(42:06) - Not a PR person
(43:11) - Leap year, baby!
(43:53) - Shout out to Ken Kost!
(45:07) - Contribution woes
(48:42) - Fly Machines vs Apps v2
(51:19) - Kinda like the end of Cable Guy
(52:54) - Back to Apps v2
(55:09) - Obsolete & primed to delete
(59:35) - Incremental change
(1:00:22) - Show us your pipeline
(1:03:40) - Shout out to Jason Bosco!
(1:05:29) - Jerod vs VLANs
(1:06:38) - Nerding out on routers
(1:09:02) - Gerhard shares a link
(1:11:15) - What we're working on next
(1:19:16) - Outrorama