Manage episode 286476547 series 2296146
By: Brian G. Chilton and Curtis Evelo | March 3, 2021
The Sermon on the Mount has challenged people for thousands of years, from every generation, nationality, and worldview. Jesus of Nazareth’s Sermon on the Mount continues to challenge people today. In a world where evangelical Christians are divided over politics, theological conflicts, conspiracy theories, and self-inflicted drama due to nasty Twitter and Facebook posts; it would prove beneficial to step back and evaluate the lifestyle that Jesus calls his disciples to live. In the fifth episode, Brian and Curtis discuss Jesus’s teaching on choosing between serving God and the world.
1) What does Jesus mean by storing up treasures in heaven as compared to treasures on earth?
2) Is Jesus telling us to not save for or prepare for retirement?
3) In this portion of SOTM what would Jesus’s audience be doing or thinking that he would be confronted with these statements
4) What is meant by the “eye is the lamp of the body?”
5) How does a person’s eye keep them healthy?
6) Was he bringing in thoughts from proverbs and Ecclesiastes (Prov. 21:4; 28:27; Ecc. 2:14)?
7) If we aren’t careful with our eyes what does that potentially do to our soul?
8) Why is it that a person cannot serve two masters, and what does this say about our modern obsessions?
9) What really does idolatry look like (Habakkuk 2:18-19, Isaiah 44:9-20)?
Brian Chilton: Founder of Bellator Christi Ministries
Brian G. Chilton is the founder of BellatorChristi.com, the host of The Bellator Christi Podcast, and the author of the Layman’s Manual on Christian Apologetics. Brian is a Ph.D. Candidate of the Ph.D. in Theology and Apologetics at Liberty University. He received his Master of Divinity in Theology from Liberty University (with high distinction); his Bachelor of Science in Religious Studies and Philosophy from Gardner-Webb University (with honors); and received certification in Christian Apologetics from Biola University. Brian is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society and the Evangelical Philosophical Society. Brian has nearly 20 years of pastoral experience and currently serves as a clinical chaplain.
Curtis Evelo: Co-host and Producer of the Bellator Christi Podcast
Curtis Evelo is a cattle rancher at the E6 Hereford Ranch in St. Ignatius, Montana. Curtis is the co-host and producer of the Bellator Christi Podcast. He often teaches and speaks at his church Cornerstone Faith Center in St. Ignatius. Curtis provides a common-sense approach to Christianity as he contemplates the wonders of God’s creation in Big Sky Country.
Copyright 2021. BellatorChristi.com.