Manage episode 283059422 series 2712272
Today’s guest is Sofie Sun. Sofie was born in the People's Republic of China in 1986. She came to the Netherlands in 2007 to pursue her degree, and has lived there ever since. After receiving a master’s degree in Dutch Literature, she has gone on and translated more than 100 books from Dutch to Chinese.
Sofie founded Build Your Happiness to bring engagement and happiness at work for different organizations and has also served as Chief Happiness Officer for one of the biggest Dutch banks, ABN Amro. Her mission is to help organizations create a safe and trusted environment so everyone can feel free to be who they truly are. In a place like this, happiness is everywhere.
In order to continue her mission and to spread as much happiness as possible, Sofie, together with her life and business partner Marco van Onzen, is organizing a series of happiness events in 2021. The first event, Define Your Happiness, will take place on March 4th 2021. This unique, innovative event features inspiring speakers to help motivate people to be, and to stay, happy in the new year and beyond.
Listen as we discuss:
- Sofie's story moving from China to the Netherlands - a whole new world
- How she studied Dutch as a strategic choice, but it led her to a thriving career
- The extraordinary challenges she faced in transitioning to a new culture
- The kindness she received that gave her hope
- How she began working in happiness, and the disappointing effects of a pay raise
- The difference between Dutch and Chinese cultures, and how she became a bridge
- Is happiness at work the responsibility of the employer?
- The Define Your Happiness event at which I'll be speaking
Connect with Sofie Sun on Instagram @sofie__sun, on Twitter @soundandsolid , on Facebook @sofiesun86, and her website, defineyourhappiness.nl
Don't forget to subscribe to Slo Mo for new episodes every Monday and Thursday. Only with your help can we reach One Billion Happy #onebillionhappy.