EP 46 | Conquering Co-Infections: How Lyme & Other Tick Borne Illnesses Can Lead to SIBO with Dr. Tom Messinger
Manage episode 279673347 series 2819884
Lyme is known in medical circles as the great imitator, meaning it can affect many different areas of the body and present as countless other conditions. Some challenges in testing have also made it both underdiagnosed and a controversial diagnosis. And yet the bacteria in various tick borne illness can be an underlying cause for many people who struggle with mysterious gut symptoms and chronic overlapping health problems.
In today’s conversation, I’m joined by Dr. Tom Messinger to parse out how these bacteria differ from one another, how they behave in the body, and why they can lead to other co-infections like SIBO, mold toxicity, and mast cell activation syndrome.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
• The barriers to diagnosing lyme and the most thorough testing • Why tick borne illnesses become more severe over time • Strategies for treatment beyond antibiotics, but also how you can support your gut while taking conventional medications • Babesiosis, Alpha Gal syndrome, and other permutations of tick-borne illnesses • How to combat neurological damage from lyme • Why these conditions overlap with SIBO and which to treat first • And so much more…Resources, mentions and notes:
- The SIBO Made Simple Book – Available to Pre-Order! Find out more about early bonuses here
- Sign up for my Low FODMAP Cooking Classes (12/2 is Everyday Detox!)
- Dr. Kerin Orbuch’s website
- Dr. Kerin Orbuch’s book: Beating Endo: How to Reclaim Your Life From Endometriosis
- Ep 10 – Endometreosis with Rebecca Coomes
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to the newsletter (and receive a free low FODMAP cookbook)
- EP 32: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome
- EP 42: The Global Virome
- Horowitz Lyme Screening Questionnaire
- Beyond Balance Herbal formulas
- Barin White Herbal formulas
- Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve
- The Tapping Solution
- Sacchamytes Boullairdii
- Phytostan by Intergrative Theraputics
- Detox formula by Designs for Health
This episode is brought to you by SIBO Made Simple – THE BOOK! Part patient guide and part cookbook (complete with over 90 low FODMAP recipes), this is your trusty road map to become your own intestinal detective, gut problem solver, and critter-free kitchen crusader. Those who pre-order their copy will be able to do my Gut Heal Bootcamp for FREE. You will also get access to one free online cooking class. To find out more details about the pre-order bonuses and to submit your receipt, click here.
This episode is also brought to you by Verisana, one of the industry leaders for at-home testing. Their new offering is a monthly subscription, called Verisana Health Club, that helps you detect risk factors and diseases before they break out. Every month, they send you comprehensive labs in an optimized order. These at home tests use your blood, saliva, hair, and stool to measure cholesterol, hormones, toxic metals and other issues across a wide array of health assays. SIBO Made Simple listeners can get their first month of membership for free by visiting Verisana Health Club and using the code SIBO2020 at checkout.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.