EP 30 | Gluten Freedom: Celiac Disease, SIBO & What This Protein Really Does to Our Gut with Dr. Lisa Shaver
Manage episode 276798778 series 2819884
Celiac disease is a big risk factor for SIBO, and yet, it’s often an overlapping condition that many doctors miss. In today’s conversation, I’m joined by Dr. Lisa Shaver to discuss the relationship between leaky gut, gluten, and the body’s autoimmune response in someone with celiac disease—and how these mechanisms can lead to other gut disorders like SIBO.
We also get into why gluten has become public enemy number 1 in today’s modern food culture, whether non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a legit condition, and the dangers of someone going on a gluten-free diet without proper medical due diligence.
Dr. Shaver is a naturopathic physician and acupuncturist in Portland, Oregon whose private practice focuses on celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, GERD, SIBO, IBS and other digestive disorders.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The genetic components of celiac disease and what triggers its expression
- How leaky gut is impacted by the vagus nerve, emotional traumas or stressors, and the downwind impact for both autoimmune conditions like celiac and SIBO
- Why celiac disease is on the rise
- Common mistakes people make when testing for celiac or unpacking patients’ symptoms
- The most important lifestyle changes celiacs need to make in addition to eliminating gluten
- Whether non-celiacs with SIBO should eliminate gluten from their diet
- How the gluten-free diet and the low FODMAP approach can be explored in tandem
- The difference between food sensitivities and autoimmune-based food reactions
- And so much more...
- Dr. Shaver's website
- Episode 3 on the gut hormone connection with Dr. Jolene Brighten
- Phoebe’s book, The Wellness Project – which has the whole story of how I detoxed my life!
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free low FODMAP cookbook
Today’s episode is brought to you by Fody Foods, a whole array of condiments, sauces and spice blends that are low FODMAP and use real ingredients to promote digestive health. Everything is Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, non-GMO, and most importantly, delicious. You can now purchase Fody Foods products at the regular grocery store! Keep an eye out for their purple logo on the shelves of Whole Foods, Sprouts, Fairway, and other grocers. Or you can head directly to fodyfoods.com to purchase online. SIBO Made Simple listeners in the US and Canada can get 15 percent off their order by using code SIBOMADESIMPLE15. Click here to learn more.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.