EP 26 | Yeast and Other Beasts: The SIBO-Candida Connection, Diet & Treatment of Fungal Overgrowth with Dr. Ami Kapadia
Manage episode 276798782 series 2819884
Candida and fungi—just like bacteria—are a normal part of our gut’s ecosystem. And yet, for many of the same reasons a person might develop SIBO, if your digestive tract isn’t functioning properly, those organisms can overgrow and cause a host of problems. In today’s episode, we get into the issue of how to parse out whether you’re GI symptoms are being caused by a yeast or fungal overgrowth (SIFO), bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), or as is often the case BOTH.
Joining me is Dr. Ami Kapadia, an integrative medicine practitioner at Kwan Yin Healing Arts Center, where she combines western and functional medicine diagnostics with traditional and complementary therapies to help patients reach their goals.
In our conversation, we discuss the difference between local chronic yeast infections and when your body has an immune response to ordinary fungi inhabiting the digestive tract. We also talk about the best methods of treatment, how your diet should be adjusted to combat a yeast overgrowth, and how this dovetails with the low FODMAP approach for SIBO.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The relationship between women’s hormones, chronic yeast infections, and candida overgrowth in the gut
- The process of investigating SIBO versus SIFO and the challenges in testing for fungi
- How environmental mold factors into fungal tolerance and your immune system
- Differences in treatment of SIBO and SIFO
- How to do a diet test to see if you’re sensitive to yeast or mold in foods
- The role that diet plays in overcoming a yeast overgrowth and what many in the wellness world get wrong
- How yeast sensitivities dovetail with histamine sensitivities
- And so much more...
- Dr. Kapadia's website
- Dr. Kapadia's yeast elimination diet protocol
- Dr. Kapadia's environmental mold guide
- Episode 13 with Dr. Aviva Romm on the vaginal microbiome
- Episode 15 on Histamine Intolerance
- Herbal Anti-Fungals: CandiBactin-AR, BR; Thorne SF722 Formula or Undecyn Acid
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free low FODMAP cookbook
This episode is brought to you by LoveBug Probiotics, whose patented delivery technology protects tablets against stomach acid and other rigors of digestion, so your probiotics reach the gut to perform their work. LoveBug Probiotics’ proprietary blends promote specific health benefits—from immune and digestive support to pre and post-natal health with their Labor of Love line. Lovebug also has the first staged line of probiotics for babies to build their microbiome from birth through childhood. Plus, the names like Yeast is a Beast to support vaginal health make taking your supplements everyday actually fun. SIBO MADE SIMPLE listeners can take 25% off their order with code SIBOMADESIMPLE. Simply go straight to https://www.lovebugprobiotics.comto take advantage of this offer.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.