EP 21 | East vs. West: Using Acupuncture, Gua Sha and Other Tenets of Chinese Medicine to Treat Thyroid and Gut Issues with Dr. Heidi Lovie
Manage episode 276798787 series 2819884
A lot of integrative medicine these days blends practices from Western science and ancient cultures. But rarely do we get to fully understand the principles of the Eastern approach and how we can apply them to our healing journey.
In today’s episode, I have one of my personal practitioners, Dr. Heidi Lovie, discussing the tenets of Chinese Medicine, including modalities like acupuncture, herbs, moxabustion and gua sha, and what they teach us about thyroid and gut disorders. Heidi is a member of the HashiPosse herself, so we go deep on how acupuncture, manual therapy and dietary changes can make up the secret sauce for Hashimoto’s healing.
If you’ve be wanting to try acupuncture, or are curious why it works so well for chronic conditions like Hashimoto's and SIBO, this episode includes so much wisdom.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- How Chinese Medicine teaches us to live in harmony with nature and what this means in our modern world
- What changes our bodies have undergone between 2019 BC and 2019 today
- Why gua sha and manual work is so essential for thyroid therapy – all you need is a ceramic soup spoon!
- The best diet for Hashimoto’s and why keto + a low carb approach isn’t the best fit
- SIBO, parasites, and opportunistic viruses – the category they all fit into and how to treat them
- When to use herbs and when to use acupuncture to treat a gut issue
- How to detox properly according to Chinese Medicine and what the seasons mean for our diet
- And so much more...
- Dr. Heidi Lovie's website
- How to use gua sha for your thyroid - VIDEO!
- Phoebe’s book The Wellness Project
- The Low FODMAP Summer Reset Elimination Diet Plan– use code SIBO20
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by my new e-book program, The Low FODMAP Summer Reset, a 4-week elimination diet meal planwith mouthwatering SIBO-friendly recipes using the best of the season’s produce. All the dishes are not only free of high FODMAP foods, but also gluten, dairy, soy, corn and refined sugar. This will help not only quiet symptoms of bloating and IBS, but identify the food triggers that might be lighting up your immune system and creating a cycle of inflammation in the gut. Plus, there’s a step by step guide for reintroducing these ingredients one at a time so you can design your best path forward. As a member of the SIBO Made Simple listener family, you can take $20 off by using the code SIBO20 at checkout. Just click hereto learn more.
Disclaimer:The information shared in this podcast is not meant to provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.