Manage episode 282798140 series 2420149
Lauren Geertsen is a body connection coach and nutrition consultant, and the author of the new book the Invisible Corset: Break Free from Beauty Culture and Embrace Your Radiant Self. In today’s episode you’ll learn about Lauren’s journey from being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease at age 14, to becoming a nutrition consultant focusing on food as medicine, to transforming to a body connection coach focusing on liberating women from unrealistic beauty standards.
In today’s episode we’re discussing:
- Orthorexia and a a fear-based vs. a love-based relationship to food
- Subconscious reasons people struggle with food
- Psychological gaslighting as it relates to women’s appearance
- Some of the issues with the body positivity movement – and why these can often make self-criticism even worse for those who are trying to improve their body image and self-perception
- How racism has dominated the history of beauty and appearance culture that still continues today? (disclaimer: we are two white women talking about this, but this isn’t something I felt could be left out of this discussion)
- the Invisible Corset: Break Free from Beauty Culture and Embrace Your Radiant Self
- Lauren’s Website: Empowered Sustenance
- Instagram: @body_connection_coach
- Book recommendation: Drinking: a Love Story
More about racism in the beauty industry from BIPOC authors:
- The Body is Not an Apology, by Soyna Renee Taylor
- Fearing the Black Body: the Racial Origins of Fatphobia, by Sabrina Strings
The theme for this month’s podcast episodes and guests is pursuing TRUE health and feeling good without diets or protocols. Want more of these episodes? Check them out below!
Healing from the root cause with mindset work, with Lana Shlafer
The dark side of the wellness industry, and how all-or-nothing thinking prevents long-term health and happiness, with Robyn Conley Downs
Want more from Dana?
- Join the *free* Non-Diet Community for episode discussion + support and our quarterly free book club!
- 1×1 Nutrition & Coaching services: Schedule a free 15 minute consult worldwide via video or phone – https://p.bttr.to/3dFylPU
- Online courses: breaking free of the diet cycle, healing from body image issues, and how to incorporate non-diet nutrition into healing chronic health conditions. Learn more at wholeheartedeating.com
Have a topic you’d love me to cover? email me at email@example.com OR comment on a podcast episode blog post (linked below) with your idea!
LISTEN TO REAL TALK WITH DANA ON ITUNES HERE !
LISTEN ON STITCHER HERE !
CHECK OUT THE SHOW ON SPOTIFY HERE!!
If you love the podcast, please subscribe to get all new episodes and write a five-star rating & review on iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts – you guys are the beeeest! It really helps the show grow and reach more people. I appreciate you!