Manage episode 318395139 series 2989039
Do you want to meditate daily with me? Go to go.calm.com/onpurpose to get 40% off a Calm Premium Membership. That's only $42 for the whole year! Experience the Daily Jay. Only on Calm
Jay Shetty talks to Ryan Holiday about why being too comfortable won’t help you grow. When you take risks, you prepare yourself to be mentally and emotionally present and be ready for what may happen. Taking risks without fearing what might happen is the foundation that allows us to evolve for better even when constraints are present and some things are just out of our control.
Ryan is a Wall Street Journal bestselling author, book store owner, public-relations strategist, and host of the podcast The Daily Stoic. Some of his best selling books are The Obstacle Is The Way, Ego Is the Enemy, Stillness is the Key, and The Daily Stoic. He owns and operates Painted Porch Bookshop, an independent bookstore in Bastrop, Texas. He lives on a 40-acre ranch in Bastrop County, Texas with his wife and two sons.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 04:42 It takes 10,000 hours to get to mastery
- 05:45 Opening a bookstore during the pandemic
- 10:27 How do you know which books to read?
- 17:36 What courage truly means
- 20:37 We’re all self-interested people but we value other people’s opinion
- 26:17 If you’re in a place where you identify with external results, you become vulnerable
- 30:34 Cultivating the ability to push through your fear
- 33:55 Being too comfortable makes you afraid to take risks
- 40:25 Deciding not to see the world as a zero sum place
- 45:00 When you make trade offs that aren’t worth it
- 46:07 Just how much is out of your control?
- 48:54 Positive changes out of situational constraints
- 51:17 What is heroism?
- 55:58 Ryan on Fast Five