Manage episode 282856860 series 2810837
Samantha Van De Wal is a certified hormone nutritionist studying to become a naturopathic doctor. She runs a clinical practice with a focus on women’s hormonal health, seeing women virtually for PCOS, infertility, and PMS. Through her own journey, she has identified the root cause of her IBS, reversed her cystic acne and irregular periods, and has helped other women balance their hormones with food, vitamins, herbs, and lifestyle changes. In this episode, listeners find out what exactly PCOS is and what the symptoms are as Samantha explains the different criteria and how to get a formal diagnosis. She also has some tips for changes in diet and lifestyle that could be beneficial for those with hormonal imbalances, including three meals per day and managing stress levels. She talks us through the pros and cons of coffee, intermittent fasting, and HIIT and reminds us that we can’t trust everything we see on social media – especially when it comes to our health! Tune in today to find out more.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Samantha shares a bit about what she does and her personal health journey.
- What PCOS is, what the symptoms or criteria are, and how to get a formal diagnosis.
- Some of the lifestyle and dietary changes that Samantha suggests for those with PCOS.
- While diet is important, stress management is non-negotiable for hormonal imbalances.
- Samantha’s food philosophy for those with PCOS includes three meals per day.
- Samantha weighs in on whether or not coffee has a place in a healthy hormonal diet.
- Don’t replace meals with coffee! It can contribute to insulin resistance.
- The pros and cons of intermittent fasting or high-intensity interval training and PCOS.
- Just because someone presents as fit, lean, and muscular on social media doesn’t mean their hormones are balanced.
- What Samantha wants to do – like starting a physical practice – once she completes her studies.
- Why Samantha wants to be remembered for her kindness.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: