Manage episode 287876831 series 2611302
The Valley Community Pantry was established in 1965 by Reverend Roy Schippling of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd located here in Hemet. As its mission grew and the needs of the local community increased, the Valley Community Pantry became an important resource in this valley and to the County of Riverside. In 1992, the Valley Community Pantry received its certification as a non-profit 501(c)3, providing charitable tax deductions to our supporters. Some research was done by Mike Schippling, the son of Reverend Roy Shippling, and his research showed that the Valley Community Pantry may have been the first or second food pantry in Riverside and possibly Southern California.
- 12,025 families registered – 37,112 people almost an average of 3 people per family, averaging 131 new families per month
- Average annual income for our registered families is $13,718.00
- Average Federal Annual Poverty Level for a family of 3 is $ 21,960
- Services we provide are: Emergency Food, Utility and Rental Assistance. We also provide new and/or used refrigerators for Veterans and seniors when they are in need or homeless and put into housing.
- We serve 49 registered Homeless Veterans at our pantry
- We serve 437 registered Inactive Veterans at our pantry
- We serve 217 registered Disabled Veterans at our pantry
- We serve 2,726 registered Disabled senior families at our pantry
- We serve 2,989 who live on social security income only
- We serve 2,311 seniors 60 years and older
- We deliver twice a month to 19 Homebound/Disabled Seniors who have no family or a means to get to our pantry
- We serve 3,339 Single Mom families at our pantry
- Less than 1/4 of 1% of the people we serve or have served are homeless on the streets (Referred as Street Residents)
- The break down of age groups for our pantry:
- 34% of our clients are children under the age of 18 years old
- 39% of our clients are between the ages of 18 and 54 years old
- 27% of our clients are between the ages of 55 and 93 years old
- We average an annual income for our clients of $13,178.00 per year. The National Poverty Level annual income is $21,960.00. Our clients are 33% lower annual income than the National Poverty average.