#109 Men & Eating Disorders, Asking for Help, and Finding Worth in Your Appearance with William Hornby
Manage episode 291015464 series 2450172
In today's episode, we interview an eating disorder advocate for men, William Hornby. He has been creating insightful, informative, and often very endearing and funny content on TikTok and IG Reels that has been building awareness for men who are struggling with Eating Disorders. After not being able to find much support online for himself, through his recovery journey he has become who he wished he had when he was struggling the most!
Topics we cover:
- men and eating disorders
- asking for help and not downplaying what you are struggling with
- the gay community and sexuality
- finding worth in your appearance
- the pressure to look a certain way in performance industries like dancing, singing and acting
- how diet culture and eating disorder culture overlap
- the influence of misogyny, capitalism, and racism
- discrimination in recovery and health care treatment
AND SO MUCH MORE!
William Hornby is at the forefront of raising awareness for men with eating disorders with his advocacy on TikTok and Instagram Reels. He is in his fourth year at Temple University where he will graduate with two bachelor's degrees: BFA Musical Theatre and BBA Business Management. He trained in classical voice at the prestigious Baltimore School for the Arts. He loves hiking, listening to NPR, and organizing zoom parties. You can find him @williamcarvedpumpkins on TikTok, @williamhornby on Instagram, and at williamhornby.com.