Manage episode 347632481 series 1176352
How can you reframe stress and use it to build your resilience? Dr. Deborah Gilboa is on a mission to transform how people think about stress and change so they can accomplish what they need to in the world. She is a resilience expert who works with families, educators, executives, and businesses to identify the mindset and strategies to turn stress to an advantage.
Known to many as Dr. G, she is a board-certified attending family physician and a leading media personality seen regularly on TODAY, Good Morning America and is the Resilience Expert for The Doctors. She is also featured frequently in the Washington Post, The New York Times, Huffington Post, and many other media outlets.
Today we’re going to discuss her new book, From Stressed To Resilient – the guide to handle more and feel it less. Why our brains hate change, the truth about stress, and eight key skills to build resilience in your life and career.
Dr. G has used these principles with her patients and in helping turn around hundreds of organizations including a group of banks that were suffering from a high staff turnover and a major construction company that was imploding from a lack of loyalty.
To replace one of your employees’ costs 2-3 times their annual salary. Bleeding talent leads to bleeding cash. Teaching your people to move from stressed to resilient stops this from happening and leads to greater productivity, happiness, loyalty and profitability. Listen as Dr. G shows us how!
What We Discuss in this Episode
- What is stress
- Why we only need leaders when there is change
- Why change is so uncomfortable
- Reframing change for your employees
- Why adversity alone doesn’t guarantee resilience
- 8 key skills for building resilience
- G’s favorite skill that she would love everyone to know
- The good news about the resilience cycle
- Why the “just get through it” approach is not enough
- How building connections increases our resilience
- The importance of laughter in handling stress and change
- The #1 thing leaders can do when asking their team to make a decision
Full Episode Show Notes: