Manage episode 293310816 series 2817281
Our guest today is Heidi Callier of Heidi Callier Design in Seattle, Washington. Her work has been featured in Elle Decor, House Beautiful, Better Homes and Garden, the Wall Street Journal, and many more. Listen to this episode as she shares decorating tips and advice from her many years of experience in the decorating field.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- Heidi talks about neutral colors and how to use them
- Heidi shares about her journey to decorating
- How to keep colors from feeling depressing and combining different shades
- The hosts and Heidi talk about how to balance different colors
- How to incorporate different floral patterns
- Heidi discusses her own house transformation
- The hosts and Heidi talk about brown furniture and how to decorate with it
- Heidi shares tips on how to approach layouts of rooms, small spaces, and decorations
For small spaces, Heidi suggests doing all the interior doors the same color, but everything is dependent on the house itself and the architecture. If you are dealing with a place that has six doors in a small space, then you probably shouldn’t paint the doors a color. But in small doses, you could do all the interior doors the same color and maybe leave the trim white.
What this room needs is a vintage rug, maybe with some violet, purple, or brown undertones to ground the space. There is a lot of white going on in the dining chairs, chandelier, and buffet, so something to richen it up the lighter colors would be lovely and child friendly. Pattern rugs are a great way to hide stains so vintage, wool rugs are wonderful for this.
This room really needs draperies. Go all the way to the ceiling or as high as you can with the rod and all the way to the floor. Put panels on each window so it frames the pretty piece of artwork in between, and keep the colors just a neutral linen with a pinch pleat at the top. Another option would be to layer in some color and patterns through the draperies.
Lastly, for the dining room, there seems to be enough furniture in there. However, a random vintage chair to bring in some floral patterns would be gorgeous.
Good luck, Jill and Jordan!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Find all of the show notes on our blog, How to Decorate.