Manage episode 334062364 series 2858981
In this exciting episode of the Holistic Wealth podcast with Keisha Blair, our very special guest is Darick Spears. Darick is an author of more than 150 books, songwriter, and entrepreneur, and he shares his perspective on closing the pay gap for Black Creators. According to Darick, in an article he shared on Black Enterprise: “So much of online culture is gleaned from Black creators, yet these creators often receive little to no credit in return—financial or otherwise”.
According to a recent study by MSL U.S. in partnership with the Influencer League, there is a 29 percent pay gap between white influencers and Black, indigenous or other people of colour. Between, white and Black influencers, the gap in pay increased to 35 percent. Nearly 50 percent of the Black influencers who participated in the study noted race played a key role in why their services fall below market value. The racial wealth gap is a topic we’ve discussed in several episodes of the Holistic Wealth podcast and is also covered in the new Holistic Wealth Expanded and Updated: 36 Life Lessons To Help You Recover From Disruption, Find Your Life Purpose and Achieve Financial Freedom.
From childhood, Darick Spears processed the world through his notebook. Darick was born with a mind constantly on the move; dreaming up new ideas, analyzing the world around him, and making magic from the mundane. He didn’t know how to communicate his musings to the people around him so he turned to a place of no restriction and no judgement; his notebook. Since that day, Darick has explored expression in a myriad of different mediums. From books to plays to films, hip-hop albums, and poems. His creativity knows no limits and his words inspire without boundaries. Today, he is a respected National speaker, inspiring entrepreneur, critically acclaimed screenwriter, and industry notable songwriter with titles that have appeared on The Grammy Ballad. Tune in to listen, to this exciting episode of the Holistic Wealth Podcast with special guest, Darick Spears.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
• Darick’s amazing journey, and transitioning from a stay-at-home dad of 10 years to opening his own bookstore.
• The pay gap for Black Creators, reasons why it exists, plus strategies to reduce the pay gap for Black Creators (on a personal level).
• Darick's experience as a full-time stay-at-home dad, and the lessons aspiring entrepreneurs can all benefit from to transition and start their own business.
• Darick’s thoughts on thriving through a global pandemic, and how Black Creators can thrive in business.
• Why entrepreneurs need to own their work, know their value and work smarter to achieve success.
• Darick's personal financial identity (based on Keisha Blair's Personal Financial Identity Framework and Quiz, and how it affects her everyday finances and money decisions.