Manage episode 276925195 series 2355391
Cramping. If you're an athlete that cramps regularly, that word will send shivers down your spine.
The violent, random, sharp muscle spasm that is cramp is one of the worst things to experience in an endurance event.
So what can we do about it?
The solutions to cramping range from old wives tales to contradictory scientific research.
So we invited Matt Donnelly, physiotherapist specialising in post graduate study of the musculoskeletal system, who has experimented cramping hypothesis and solutions on our very own Head Coach Gerard.
In the episode we cover:
- What is cramping?
- Why cramping has less to do with the muscle and more to do with the brain
- The biggest myths around what causes cramping
- New research suggests dehydration has NOTHING to do with cramping?
- What about electrolytes?
- How does age affect cramping
- The genetic link of cramp
- What we can do about cramping once it hits
- What we can do to prevent it
If you want to learn how to TRAIN SMARTER and RACE FASTER, you can join our weekly email, just go to: getfastpodcast.com
The Get Fast Podcast is brought to you by TriVelo Coaching, where we help triathletes and cyclists like you, Train Smarter to Race Faster. You are joined as always by your hosts, Australian Triathlon Ironman Champion and HEAD COACH of TriVelo Coaching Gerard Donnelly, and his son Jordan Donnelly.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.