Manage episode 291724711 series 2863316
Today we hear from Linwood Paul and Matt D’Amour about how honestly we answer the question: how are you? Together, Linwood and Matt are co-founders of Subtle Distinctions, a business that offers integrative coaching for individuals, business leaders, and their teams. They help others make great decisions, exceed their goals, and create thoughtful leaders from the inside out.
Matt talks to Linwood about why sincerely asking others how they’re doing is such an important opportunity to establish a new connection or to nourish an existing one. We learn that there are three connection levels which include being curious, skillful, or respectful. We also need to be mindful of our answers when responding to such questions.
As Linwood tells us, we often formulate pre-packaged answers as a means of protecting ourselves or simply not taking a moment to look inward. To find out how you can move outside of your own pre-packed responses and how you can experiment with asking people how they are, be sure to join us today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why asking somebody how they are is a chance to develop your connection.
- Hear about the three relationship levels that are addressed when asking someone how they are.
- How listeners can use these three levels more deeply.
- Some of the pre-packed responses that people tend to share.
- Why people default to pre-packaged responses when asked how they are doing.
- Ways you can move outside of your pre-packaged responses.
- How you can experiment with asking people how they are.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: