Body Liberation Through Photography with Lindley Ashline
Manage episode 252321916 series 1041502
“A fat body is not an indicator of disease or an eating disorder or of anything other than it being fat.”
In this episode of the Escape Diet Prison Podcast, I am joined by Lindley Ashline.
Lindley (pronounced LIN-lee, she/her) creates artwork that celebrates the unique beauty of bodies that fall outside conventional “beauty” standards. Lindley is also the creator of Body Liberation Stock and the Body Love Box, a monthly body-acceptance subscription box. She lives outside Seattle with her husband and two feline overlords.
Find Lindley’s work and get her free weekly Body Liberation Guide.
We talk about:
- what is was like to grow up without a TV and how that influenced her body image
- reclaiming the word fat for herself
- being an average size kid and how her body changed during puberty
- the time she went through the typical weight cycling that results from dieting
- fat bodies, fashion and hiding your femininity
- the urban myth of knowing someone who’s lost SO much weight and kept it off
- her struggle with rejecting healthism and knowing that no body is “bad” because it doesn’t meet our culture’s standards of health
- why it was such a big deal for Lindley to read about the social determinants of health
- the fear of not finding anybody willing and wanting to work with a fat photographer
“You don’t have to be beautiful. You can just show up.”
- how conforming with beauty standards can (still) make or break your career
- why she’ll never photoshop her models fat rolls away
“Having the stories that are in your skin exposed to a camera is as intimate as telling your story.”
- what we can learn from nature about our bodies and our roles on this planet
- the fact that just because we only value one body typ, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be any other body types out there anymore
- and so much more!
Where to find Lindley:
Other resources and experts we mention:
- Kate Harding and Marianne Kirby, authors of Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
- Marilyn Wann, author of FAT!SO? : Because You Don’t Have to Apologize for Your Size
- Ivy Felicia
- Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, and Just Plain Fail to Understand about Weight by Linda Bacon & Lucy Aphramor
Enjoy this episode!
Love and light,
When you journal, magic ensues.
You begin to hear yourself, feel yourself and trust yourself more and more.
Check out my Email Series 365 Journaling Prompts for more Body-Confidence, Self-Love & Happiness. This soul-opening program will be delivered to your inbox every single day for a year. Get the details here.
Want more support? Join the free Escape Diet Prison Facebook group to engage with others who are on the same path as you. We can only grow if we surround ourselves with like-minded people. If you don’t, you’ll stay stuck and that is a promise.
Enjoyed this episode? Share it with others in your life who MUST listen to it right now. YOU are a change maker in this world and your voice needs to be heard.
Thanks for Subscribing to Escape Diet Prison:
Note: This podcasts is now also available on Stitcher!
The post Body Liberation Through Photography with Lindley Ashline appeared first on Anne-Sophie Reinhardt.