Manage episode 304985663 series 1755425
Today I discuss my work as chief medical officer. I spent 14 years as a senior hospital executive. There was a lot to like about that job. More than I can cover in one podcast episode.
I presented the positive aspects of a hospital management career in Podcast Episode #20.
But today, I’ll focus on some of the specific projects I worked on and the directors who I worked with. I think it will give you a better idea of what a CMO does. I hope it will inspire you to consider a hospital management career.
For those NOT considering such a career, you should listen anyway, because what I’ll describe applies to a senior leadership position in almost any industry – even in your own business.
I will start by listing the six assignments I want to describe today.
Notice that I call them assignments because they represent a combination of the work with a specific department and its director, PLUS one or more of specific projects that we worked on together.
For 2 of the 6, there was no distinct director to mention, for reasons I will explain when I get to those assignments.
Here is the list of the 6 assignments…
- Leading the CME program, supporting the residency program start-up, and working with Lisa Zipsie, Director of Physicians Services.
- Selecting and implementing the first Quality Management Program, achieving Top 100 Hospital Status, and working with Mary Schore, QI Director.
- Implementing the hospital’s first Lean Process Improvement Initiative and working with Stephanie Mitchell, Director of the Laboratory.
- Overseeing the implementation of physician order entry and the medication safety program and working with Jim Shafer, Pharmacy Director.
- Establishing the first hospitalist service.
- Recruiting physicians, purchasing local physician practices, and leading the medical group during its growth to the dominant multispecialty group in the county.
For the details of each assignment, you must listen to the episode or read the transcript included in the show notes.
You can find the show notes for today’s episode at nonclinicalphysicians.com/assigments-of-a-hospital-cmo
If you'd like to join my Nonclinical Mastermind Group, you can learn about it at nonclinicalphysicians.com/mastermind.
Get an updated edition of the FREE GUIDE to 10 Nonclinical Careers at nonclinicalphysicians.com/freeguide.
Get a list of 70 nontraditional jobs at nonclinicalphysicians.com/70jobs.
Check out a FREE WEBINAR called Best Options for an Interesting and Secure Nonclinical Job at nonclinicalphysicians.com/freewebinar1